Thursday, May 12, 2011

Kamikaze Pheasant

You may remember the pheasant that was attacking villagers in Newsham in North Yorkshire last year. I came across a similarly vicious bird in the Dales. I was driving along a moor late one evening when it rushed out into the middle of the road in an attempt to cut me off.



This cock bird was highly territorial and wanted me off his patch. I decided I ought to try and get it off the road before it got run over.


But when I got out of the car with my camera he rushed at me, pecking and sparring my arm.
It really hurt.


It was so fearless I decided to go back to see it the next day, knowing I was likely to get some good shots since it was unlikely to shy from the camera.
This time I brought my assistant photographer, my daughter Lily, with me.


But what with the aggressive pheasant coming too close for me to focus.


And Lily hanging off my shoulders, it was a little difficult to get a good enough photograph to paint from.



They say you shouldnt work with children and animals!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing bird. I do hope you finally got some photos usable for painting, other than the good ones of you and your assistant.

    ReplyDelete