Friday, September 21, 2012

Foal-tastic Zebra!


After a week in the Masai Mara my group and I spent a restful few days at a lodge on the shores of Lake Naivasha belonging to the world's foremost authority on elephants, Iain Douglas-Hamilton.

We actually stayed in the Douglas-Hamilton's former home, Olerai House, where we had the luxury of being able to watch zebra, giraffe, buffalo and impala as we ate our breakfast each morning.
This little cutie had been born the day before we arrived. I couldn't resist getting some photographs. It's a very different experience being on foot and it took a little while for them to get used to my presence.

It felt very special when the foal felt comfortable enough to lay down for a rest. I lay down nearby at eye-level to the foal and watched as its mother gently nuzzled its ears to reassure it that it was safe to go to sleep.
She kept a watchful eye on me while the foal slept.

After a 25 minute power nap the foal woke refreshed and ready for off again.

No comments:

Post a Comment