Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Galapagos Penguin Finds its Wings


Galapagos penguins are endemic to the archipelago and are very different to those found in South Georgia. I have tried to capture their endearing nature in my painting above.


But what struck me most about these flightless birds was how they moved underwater. On land they can look so awkward but I will never forget the first time I saw one swim.


I was snorkelling with my group when a penguin appeared quite suddenly. It was chasing a shoal of fish and gliding through the water, its wings propelling it along with such speed.



As it twisted and turned its wings were spinning through the water like a wind up toy. It was so agile looked as though it was flying when it was underwater.

But as my group watched in amazement it bumped right into my father-in-law, hitting him in the chest with its bill!

No comments:

Post a Comment